Monday, October 4, 2010

Pool Hall Shorts- Stories of the Pool life

I was born and raised in NYC, home to some of the greatest pool players in the country.
One in particular was an unknown pool player by the name of James Walker. We all knew him affectionately as Pops. Pops ran a pool hall in a remote part of Brooklyn N.Y. He was a seventy five year old African American and round as a ball. He couldn’t get down on a shot very well because his stomach protruded so far out it became an obstruction for him. That still did not hinder him from shooting pool -and he was great! Pops was amazing. I remembered the cue he played with was a cheap ten dollar one from Models Sport Shop. I learned so much from that old man. He gave me a lot of free table time. Back then it cost $2.00 an hour to play. I would brush down all of his tables (about thirty of them), just for some free table time. One night this guy we used to call Cowboy came in and started playing straight pool to 125 points with Pops for money. I think maybe $50.00 bucks a game. As the night went on they were going back and forth, Pops would win one, then Cowboy would win another game. It wasn’t real pool unless an argument broke out and boy, they did argue. Over shots, misses, even the weather-anything they could think of. Finally, Cowboy made a fatal error and said the wrong thing.”How about you put your Cady up against mine?” It was the mid 70’s and both men drove new Cadillac’s. Pops had a mint green Fleetwood and Cowboy drove a dark blue Eldorado. Pops could not pass up this opportunity. “Sure,” he said with his renowned giggle behind it. Pops was always giggling about something. Like he knew something you didn’t. They finally started shooting and after a series of safety play they were both tied zip to zip. Cowboy finally drew first blood with a run of thirty something then locked himself up after a failed break shot. Pops played a safety on Cowboy leaving him a hard shot which he missed. Pops moved in for the kill. As he stepped up to the table he gave out that little annoying giggle of his and ran out 125 for the win. Back then when you made a bet that size you honored it and paid up. Cowboy tossed his car keys to Pops and said,”We’ll do the paperwork tomorrow.” Pops put the keys in his cash register and reached in and pulled out a subway token and tossed it to Cowboy."Hey Cowboy, the train ride is on me,” he said in between giggles. Yes, I did learn a lot from Pops. My most valued lesson was never play him for money! I miss that old man. I have atop the entrance to my poolroom at home a sign that simply reads “Pops Poolroom” My kids think that it means my poolroom but it is actually a homage to that wonderful old man who taught me the game of pool in its truest form. After some time Pops became just too old to take care of his business and closed down. I never saw him again. Where ever you are Pops, thanks for all the great times and for all the valuable lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment